Bacon, Leek & Pearly Barley Casserole
This larder grain makes a great alternative to rice or couscous. Team with bacon and veggies for a delicious risotto-like stew.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks, thickly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 300g pearl barley, soaked for 1 hr
- 4 carrots, cubed
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard, plus extra to serve
- 1l chicken stock
- 300g Savoy cabbage, shredded
- 200g diced pork loin, cooked, chopped into small pieces
Heat a large pan over a medium heat. Add the olive oil and cook the leeks and bacon for a few mins, then add the garlic and cook for just 1 min more.
Add the pearl barley, carrots and mustard, then pour over the chicken stock. Season with plenty of ground black pepper and simmer for 20 mins, stirring occasionally. Add the cabbage and cook for 5-10 mins until cabbage is wilted and tender. Serve with extra Dijon mustard on the side.